I recently was able to visit Las Vegas for the first time. Vegas was how I envisioned it, full of lights, colors, casinos and happiness. As you walk down the strip you stumble upon flashing lights, traffic and crowds of cheerful people.
Vegas is a place where you can escape from reality. While there, you can be careless, live life freely and stress free. The city is full of surprises, you never know what you will see or encounter in this extravagant place.
It only takes a few days to fall in love with this city. I recommend taking a summer weekend vacation with your significant other, your girl friends, your guy friends or in my case, your amazing older sister.
Here are a few easy steps to follow to visit a destination you will never forget.
1. Booking the flight- Start looking ahead of time so you can pay less for summer flights.
2. Hotel reservations- There are tons of hotels that provide great offers and discounts. Don’t be alarmed by the prices, you can find some great deals.
I stayed at the Luxor hotel, which is shaped like a pyramid. The service was great and the hotel was nice. The only downside was the distance from The Strip. Therefore, I would suggest a better location such as the Palazzo, Monte Carlo or the Cosmopolitan.
3. Physical Activity-Be ready to walk a lot! Yes, there are taxis, shuttles and the Tram, but I recommend you walk. I believe that by walking you can discover and see way more of what the city has to offer.
4. Casinos-If you go to Vegas, you must gamble. Playing the machines are enjoyable and you never know, you may be that lucky player who wins the $10,000 or $100,000 jackpot.
5. The Architecture- Check out all the artwork and different themes in each casino. There is the Venetian, where you feel like you have stepped inside little Italy, Ceasars Palace, and the Cosmopolitan.
6. Freemont- Visit the old strip, Freemont. It’s a quite a change from the new Strip. While there you can even go zip lining.
7. Tan- Enjoy the sunshine, especially the 100 degree weather in the summer.
8. Nightlife-Do not forget to check out the nightlife. Go clubbing and get your dance on. There are a lot of bars and clubs to visit. Check out LAX in Luxor or my favorite, Lavo. At Lavo, I was able to see Lupe Fiasco perform—remember you never know what you will bump into in Las Vegas.
9. Drinks-If you are 21, which I highly recommend you should be before visiting Vegas, you can enjoy the many fruity, sweet, tangy delicious drinks.
10. The food-There are a lot of places to eat while in Vegas. Warning, the food is a little pricey, but well worth it. I recommend to stop by and pick up some burgers and fries at Dick’s Last Resort. At Dick’s you will be treated like, “a dick,” hence the name. The waiters do a great job of staying in character. Believe me you will be in for some laughs if you go eat there.
For example, I asked for no onions on my burger and was replied back by the waiter, “This isn’t Burger King sunshine pick them off yourself!” Also, hats with inappropriate sayings are placed on your heads. Therefore, if you do not like to be treated like a “dick” this is not the restaurant for you.
And a must go for breakfast, lunch or dinner is House Hash A Go Go. The food is divine and affordable. I had the best crisp salmon sandwich. The salmon was fried in cornmeal and was light and fluffy inside a whole wheat bun with tomatoes, lettuce, onion and chili mayo sauce. The sandwich also came with a crisp fresh salad, topped with tomatoes, radishes, bread crumbs and a delicate, refreshing cucumber dressing.
As you can see, I had a blast in Vegas and will be visiting again soon to enjoy the nightlife, entertainment and food.